Autumn 1997

Maplin makes the switch to D3

Maplin, one of the world's leading suppliers of electronic components, has chosen to use Pick Systems D3 as the backbone of its IT systems. It will serve as the primary database for a wide range of applications including order processing, EPOS, financials and EDI.

Maplin have been a Pick end-user for ten years and already appreciate the benefits of the MultiValue model. The move to D3 was largely driven by a growing need to empower users by giving them the ability to perform queries, reports and data mining at the desktop without having to resort to the IT department.

Nigel Fawcett, IT manager of Maplin, explains: "D3 is not only functionally rich and ideally suited to a transaction processing system, it is also the most cost-efficient tool for database design and development on the market today.

"D3 makes better use of machine resources, resulting in reduced memory and mass storage requirements together with lower CPU overhead, achieving approximately 4 times as many users for a given hardware configuration as its nearest competitor.

"We needed to establish an IT infrastructure which would enable us to continue to operate effectively well into the next decade. D3 provides us with a scaleable, portable and flexible platform which effectively enables us to 'future-proof' our systems. We're confident that our Pick-based architecture will provide us with a solid basis for our future open IT strategy."

The new D3 system is running on Unix on Data General AViiON AV8500 hardware, with the database fully integrated with all existing hardware and software platforms.

Pick Systems Limited (UK)
Cowdray House
2-4 High Street
Chalfont St Peter
Buckinghamshire
SL9 9QA
Tel: (01753) 891800
Fax: (01753) 891801
http://www.pick.co.uk
e-mail: info@pick.co.uk

Last Updated: 22 July 1999

Home | | What's New | | News | | Articles | | Workspace | | Pick of the Web | | InfoCentre | | Parting Shots | | About Us | | Subscribe |