Autumn 1998

General Automation reports restated financial results

Following the discovery and correction of a programming error in their deferred revenue accounting system, which had led to overstatement of income in previous accounting periods, General Automation has announced that it has completed its reassessment of its results for fiscal years ending 30 September 1995, 1996 and 1997 and reported restated results to the SEC in Form 10-K/A, dated 21 August 1998. The restated results show:

Other recent announcements from GA include the filing of its restated first quarter and delayed second quarter results:

This represents a total loss of $4.4m over the nine months to 30 June 1998. The company stated that this figure includes $2.2m in non-cash charges of amortization and goodwill and $800,000 in one-time charges taken in the third quarter.

The 10-K/A filing was accompanied by an independent auditor’s report which expressed reservations about the company’s ability to continue to operate as a going concern. The report stated that General Automation "has incurred operating losses in two of the last three years, has a working capital deficit and a deficit tangible net worth." In addition:

To bolster the financial standing of the company, GA’s management has outlined a four-point plan and submitted it with the 10-K/A filing. The plan comprises:

Much of the decline in revenue has been attributed to aging service contracts, with the trend expected to continue through fiscal 1998, although strategies are being put in place by management to reverse the trend through the acquisition of existing contract portfolios and increased sales in this sector.

"General Automation has and is acting responsibly to take the steps necessary to adjust our expenses to be in line with expected revenues," said Jane Christie, President and CEO of GA. These adjustments include the consolidation outlined above, reduced labour costs and moves to reduce third-party service expenses by an estimated $1.5 million per annum.

"Our product sales forecasts continue to look promising for the fourth quarter and we believe we are finding ways to increase our business through the addition of new software contracts as well as third-party servicing opportunities," Christie added.

General Automation, Inc
17731 Mitchell North
Irvine
California CA 92614
Tel: +(800) 854 0140
Fax: +(949) 752 6777
http://www.genauto.com

Last Updated: 31 October 1998

Home | | What's New | | News | | Articles | | Workspace | | Pick of the Web | | InfoCentre | | Parting Shots | | About Us | | Subscribe |