Spring 1999

MultiValue Web Ring: an update

Regular readers of MultiValue News will recollect that in the Summer 1997 edition, our Pick of the Web correspondent Elkie Holland reviewed the MultiValue Community Web Ring. Almost two years on, Elkie took another look to see how it’s grown.

The MV Web Ring’s purpose is to create a relationship of all the Web sites that service the MultiValue community. Herb Rubin, one of the founders, said: “Why not link them all together? In terms of advertising we can all help each other by channelling web surfers to each other.”

One reason people might wish to become a member of the MV-Ring is to attract visitors: surfers can click the “next” or “previous” button and voila, they are at your site. There is also a random site feature and an index, so with a single click a potential client can see all the web sites in our community with a paragraph about each one.

In spring 1997, the Ring was only two months old and had around 20 member sites, with traffic of about 250 hits per week. Today it has 107 site members and received over 12,800 hits for the last eight weeks - some 1,600+ hits per week.

Not only does the MV-Ring attract visitors, but you can also track the number of hits your page receives using the statistics generation function. To illustrate, some sample “Top 10” statistics from the Ring, as of 18th February 1999, are shown below.

Sites receiving visitors from the Ring   Most active sites
Prospectus Computer Registrations

1
Via Systems
WordMark International

2
JES & Associates
Shaw Solutions Pty Ltd

3
Prospectus Computer Registrations
Eagle Rock Information Systems

4
Weaver Consulting
Ashwood Computer Company Inc

5
Dynamic Systems Inc
Bridge2 Technology

6
Safari Software Products
Malcolm Bull Training & Consultancy

7
AccuSoft Enterprises
Craystone Investments

8
The jBASE Home Page
Noteworthy Information Systems

9
Shaw Solutions Pty Ltd
International Spectrum

10
CargoWare Home Page

The Ring is open to Web sites of companies or individuals who provide computer products and/or services to the MultiValue community. There is no cost to being a member. All that is requested is that you maintain your HTML properly so the ring doesn’t get broken. Dead links are not appreciated. Pathfinders Software maintains the part of this database created for the MultiValue Web Ring. Visit the Ring’s home at http://www.pfinders.com/mvring.

Last Updated: 30 June 1999

Home | | What's New | | News | | Articles | | Workspace | | Pick of the Web | | InfoCentre | | Parting Shots | | About Us | | Subscribe |