Summer 1999

jUG meets again in 12th century...

The second meeting of the Local Government jBASE Users Group was held on the 12th May in the oak-panelled splendour of Exeter’s Guildhall Jury Room. The 800 year old Guildhall comes fully equipped with rather more dungeons than electric sockets! All in all it was a successful day. Delegates agreed that the technical discussions were productive and the strategic issues thought provoking. Technical issues covered included remote file access using jRFS, interfacing Reality with Ingres databases using jBASE as an intermediary, maintaining multiple-version program libraries and using third party screen editors. Paul Davidson of Sedgemoor District Council gave a presentation of how their green-screen NDR system was being “gui-ised” using object-oriented VB6 code. This impressed us all immensely and led on to a discussion of the merits of procedural versus OO software development and the costs involved in acquiring and maintaining expertise amongst development staff (as you may know spending money in local government is always problematic). Strategic issues covered included discussion of Imaging and Workflow Management. Also discussed were the questions “Is the future in JAVA or VB6?” and “Is there merit in a joint approach to development?” We realised that we had some gaping holes in our knowledge! jBASE agreed that they would tell us all about JAVA at the next meeting, also coming up will be a presentation of Imaging and Workflow Management. The next meeting will be held in the Jury Room at Exeter’s Guildhall on 7th July 1999 - Tudor costume is optional. If you are in local government and you would be interested in attending, please e-mail the secretary liz.oxburgh@exeter.gov.uk for details.

jBASE Software Limited
599 Maxted Road
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
HP2 7DX
Tel: (01442) 235515
Fax: (01442) 211134
e-mail: sales@jbase.co.uk
http://www.jbase.co.uk

jBASE User Group (jUG)
e-mail: liz.oxburgh@exeter.gov.uk

Last Updated: 30 June 1999

Home | | What's New | | News | | Articles | | Workspace | | Pick of the Web | | InfoCentre | | Parting Shots | | About Us | | Subscribe |