Summer 1999

General Automation accelerates market expansion with release of mv.BASE 1.3.1

General Automation, Inc. has announced the immediate availability of mv.BASE 1.3.01, its best-selling client/server MultiValue database for Windows NT and Windows 98 computing environments. Version 1.3.01 is a maintenance release to the recent mv.BASE 1.3 upgrade announced late last year.

The revised mv.BASE Windows application development environment, with over 25,000 users and sales growing at 35 percent per quarter, has expanded the market opportunity for GA and its resellers with support for larger customer sites and an updated and user-friendly presentation as a mainstream Windows application.

“This release delivers on the first part of a promise General Automation made in March, when we committed to a road map of product enhancements as suggested by our resellers,” said Judi Uttal, general manager of GA’s Open Software Business Unit. “We can now offer customers a mainstream Windows database environment that delivers optimized performance and provides the processing power needed for integration with evolving enterprise applications such as Web development, e-business and data mining.”

The mv.BASE facelift to create a modernized, more powerful and mainstream Windows database environment began with the availability of Release 1.3. Announced in October 1998, Release 1.3 features System Transaction Logging for improved database availability, enhancements to the virtual terminal emulator for improved usability and support for larger sites with an increased database size.

“The performance of the new mv.BASE release is superb and the installation process has become even easier,” stated Wayne Wilhelm, president of CMAX, Inc., of Cleveland, Tenn. CMAX, a GA reseller, specializes in application development for the financial services, retail and government industries. According to Wilhelm: “We’re also pleased that our customers and prospects are no longer limited because of the database size, which GA dramatically increased in the last release.”
The scaleable, multithreaded, 3-tier architecture of mv.BASE provides a comprehensive and powerful Windows solution. It gives organizations the following features to address enterprise database requirements:

Shifting into high-end computing environments with support for larger sites, the new mv.BASE product has opened the door for mainstream market acceptance. Many mv.BASE customer sites now support over 100 users, including Watkins Shepard Trucking with 152 users, Butterfield and Butterfield with 146 users, and Med-Atlantic Corporation with 136 users.

“The international growth of mv.BASE has accelerated because we’re now delivering a fully integrated, easy to implement and user-friendly Windows database that also provides unbeatable performance,” Uttal said. “No other vendor in the MultiValue industry has worked as hard as we have to integrate technology such as a standard telnet server, provide a terminal emulator that’s not an add-on or deliver a flexible TCP/IP-based architecture.”

Release 1.3.01 Improves Documentation Access, User Interface and Liberty ODBC Evaluation
The new mv.BASE Release 1.3.01 enhances the recent upgrade to 1.3 and is a maintenance release certified to run on Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98. Its improved ease-of-use capabilities and new features include:

“The availability of the Liberty ODBC product on the mv.BASE CD is strategic to the future growth and acceptance of mv.BASE,” said Uttal. “Many customers are buying mv.BASE for the ability to move applications to e-commerce and Web integration. Having Liberty on the CD makes it easier to take advantage of the Web.”

The underlying architecture of mv.BASE and its OCX API is well suited for e-business and Web applications, data mining or business intelligence tools. The solutions supplied by Liberty Integration Software are the industry’s premier data access products and include the Liberty ODBC Driver, Liberty Web Publisher and Liberty JDBC Edition. All Liberty products are 100 percent compatible with the mv.BASE environment and have been playing a growing role in the technology direction of prominent businesses. mv.BASE customers such as Elizabeth Arden Salons, a leading day spa operator, and Lazy Days RV Center, the world’s largest RV dealer, have boosted sales through new e-commerce sites powered by the Liberty Web Publisher. Additionally, a leading window manufacturer and a McDonalds restaurant franchise business have recently installed the Liberty ODBC Driver to integrate Microsoft Window’s applications with their mv.BASE databases.

“With college campuses as our market focus, we need an open, scaleable and manageable Windows NT platform to provide an enterprise-level backbone for our system,” said Count Darling, MIS director of BUDGEText in Fayetteville, Arkansas. “As a GA reseller and an mv.BASE user, we are happy to see the architecture of mv.BASE enhanced to make the development of powerful Web applications easier. Our Web-based applications are a great selling point of our system, and under mv.BASE, their performance is very fast. It doesn’t matter how many Web applications you add—you’re are not going to see any performance drag because of it.”

GA Mentor Limited
Waterside House, Woodley Headland
Peartree Bridge, Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
MK6 3BY
Tel: (01908) 690695
Fax: (01908) 240113
e-mail: dpeters@genauto.com
http://www.genauto.com
http://www.libertyodbc.com

Last Updated: 30 June 1999

Home | | What's New | | News | | Articles | | Workspace | | Pick of the Web | | InfoCentre | | Parting Shots | | About Us | | Subscribe |