Summer 2000

Pick Systems to merge with Omnis Technology and bring RAD to D3

Omnis Technology and Pick Systems have announced a preliminary agreement to merge. The transaction is targeted to close by the end of July subject to shareholder approval and the negotiation of a definitive agreement.

Senior management of Pick Systems will assume responsibilities for the combined company, with Gil Figueroa, current president and CEO of Pick Systems, serving as the new CEO of the combined organisation. Gwyneth Gibbs will remain as president of the Omnis Development Tools division. Headquarters for the merged organisation will move to the Pick Systems offices in Irvine, California.

“The need to embrace software solutions that deliver cost-effective business performance at a fraction of the cost of other competitors has become paramount,” said Figueroa. “The marriage of our MultiValue database technology with Omnis’ component-based GUI development tools enables customers of both companies to develop complete applications in the most user-friendly and cost-effective environment available. We are committed to providing continued support for all products and will be adding to the list of services and capabilities that we offer shortly.”

“The time is now to combine the best of our experiences and technology and to continue to address a business problem that is familiar to us,” said Jim Dorst, COO and CFO of Omnis. “Gil and his team are bringing a strong vision that will enable all of our customers to succeed in the Internet age. Our combined focus and business strategies will result in better products that address the myriad of technology issues with a single comprehensive elegant suite of products that perform, are feature-rich and are delivered at web speed.”

On a proforma basis, the combined companies had approximately $23.5 million in revenues for fiscal 2000 and more than 200 employees worldwide. Pick Systems’ 2000 fiscal year ended February 28 while Omnis’ ended March 31.

With a combined 40 years experience in delivering proven solutions to a worldwide Value Added Reseller channel, this merger builds on a solid technology and channel foundation. Omnis develops a powerful object-oriented rapid application development tool, enabling easy deployment of sophisticated web and client/server applications. Pick Systems is the leader in and originator of multidimensional database technology, offering the most flexible, efficient and easy-to-maintain environment in the market. Additionally, Pick Systems offers open standard middleware components and web connectivity tools. This transaction will provide customers of both companies with a GUI-based RAD methodology deeply integrated with Pick’s powerful multidimensional database technology as well as other leading database environments such as Oracle and Microsoft SQL server.

The two organisations have targeted enterprise-wide applications where there is a requirement to quickly react to market changes at web speed. The merged company’s products will allow software developers to concentrate on business rule creation and management instead of cross-platform deployment, change management, interoperability, transaction processing and database administration.

Pick Systems Limited (UK)
Cowdray house
2-4 High Street
Chalfont St. Peter
Buckinghamshire
SL9 9QA
Tel: (01753) 891800
Fax: (01753) 891801
e-mail: info@pick.co.uk
http://www.pick.co.uk

Last Updated: 28 Sep 2000

Home | | What's New | | News | | Articles | | Workspace | | Pick of the Web | | InfoCentre | | Parting Shots | | About Us | | Subscribe |