Autumn 2001

University of Nottingham gets web-enabled with ResourceLink from Northgate

The University of Nottingham is partnering with Northgate Information Solutions, a leading information technology company, to install a web-enabled solution to meet its growing Human Resource needs. ResourceLink, Northgate’s state-of-the-art software application, will be installed across the institution.

Northgate started working with the University last year. It initially installed a Human Resources solution with integrated modules for payroll, personnel, training, expenses, and car mileage. The brief was to expand this service to a fully web-enabled solution that would be available to the University’s 5,500 staff.

David Crowley, Assistant Director of Personnel at the University of Nottingham, explained: “In 1999 we conducted a review of the latest and greatest HR packages on the market. We came to the conclusion that Northgate’s offering and expertise was the most appropriate. Northgate understood the future needs of the marketplace and the importance of web access to institutions such as Nottingham.”

Crowley continued: “Web based solutions are top of our agenda. After assessing other suppliers we felt that Northgate was best positioned to keep us at the forefront of technical developments in the education sector. Since the initial installation our needs and expectations of the system have evolved and our decision to engage with Northgate endorsed as we move in to the next phases of our HR system development – online web access for managers and employees.”

The next three months will see the roll out of the online functionality of ResourceLink and the associated reporting tools to departmental managers bringing with them anticipated efficiencies and cost and time benefits. The solution has a unique single view feature – a function that enables any employee to amend personal data. This facility will ultimately be used to encourage University staff to check address and bank details and to instigate transactions such as requesting holiday online. Another benefit will be the ability to access the system from home – offering flexibility and the associated advantages to HR and the University of enabling working from home.

Simon Caunce, Business Development Director of the Human Resource Sector said: “ResourceLink is a market leading solution and we have won major contracts in a number of sectors. For the education sector, our solution is not only relevant but also more advanced than any of our competitors. The University of Nottingham is widely perceived as an innovator in technology uptake, therefore ResourceLink was an attractive proposition. Across all sectors its web based functionality has been of interest but for Nottingham it was crucial.”

Crowley concluded: “Since our first consultation with Northgate, the relationship has blossomed. Due to Northgate’s systems integration heritage we envisage our relationship successfully continuing.”

ResourceLink is Northgate’s latest generation of Human Resource application software. It offers a fully integrated suite of modules including Payroll, Personnel, Pensions Administration, Training Administration, Recruitment, Expenses, Car Mileage, P11D, Health & Safety, and Employee Self Service.

More recently a Flexible Benefits module has been added to help organizations improve staff retention by allowing employees to configure their own salary packages. In addition, ResourceLink provides business intelligence and workflow functions which increase administration efficiencies, improve management information and reduce overall operational costs. The application is fully web enabled.

ResourceLink is available to companies as an in-house solution, or as an ASP (Application Service Provision), whereby the software is rented over the network on a monthly basis. As an ASP solution, organizations can choose up to five levels of managed service – from basic systems management, application management, payroll input, full managed services, through to outsourcing the entire HR function.

Northgate Information Solutions Boundary Way, Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire, HP2 7HU
Tel: (01442) 232424
Fax: (01442) 256454
http://www.northgate-is.com
e-mail: solutions@northgate-is.com

Last Updated: 29 Nov 2001

Home | | What's New | | News | | Articles | | Workspace | | Pick of the Web | | InfoCentre | | Parting Shots | | About Us | | Subscribe |